De-Addiction treatment programs commonly fall into two categories- inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation. Determining inpatient vs outpatient treatment becomes essential while taking the first step towards sobriety. Both the categories are equally focused on rehabilitation, yet both have unique benefits and attributes to offer. Inpatient treatment is an intensive residential treatment that is curated to meet the needs of individuals struggling with severe addiction. At the same time, outpatient treatment is a part-time program that allows the treatment seekers to keep up with their day-to-day activities while offering treatment.
It is essential for individuals and their loved ones to deeply study inpatient vs outpatient rehab before selecting a de-addiction program. The following blog will briefly update you about the features, benefits and drawbacks of inpatient and outpatient rehabs. We strongly recommend getting in touch with a mental health professional before finalizing your treatment program for a successful journey to sobriety.
To understand the difference between inpatient vs outpatient rehab, one must have a closer look at the features, pros and cons of both treatment settings.
Inpatient or residential treatment is the one that requires individuals to check in a drug or alcohol rehabilitation centre in Delhi for their treatment. The treatment usually begins with a medically-assisted detox. After completing the inpatient treatment, one can continue with a relatively flexible treatment option such as outpatient treatment.
Inpatient treatment programs may vary from rehab to rehab, but some common features shared among all include:
● Counselling sessions- individual and group therapy
● Medication management
● Dual-diagnosis treatment
● Indigenous therapy
● Participation in 12 step program and group meetings
The benefits of inpatient treatment include:
● Round the clock accountability and support
● Comprehensive dual-diagnosis treatment
● An environment free from worldly triggers necessary for early abstinence
The drawbacks of inpatient treatment include:
● Inability to meet work responsibilities during treatment
● Insurance policies might not cover rehabilitation treatment
● Higher costs due to 24*7 medical supervision
A prominent inpatient vs outpatient treatment differentiator is that an outpatient rehab allows individuals to carry on with their daily activities. This treatment is scheduled by considering an individual's work hours to avoid interfering with their routine. The individual can get high standard care with flexibility.
Similar to the inpatient treatment programs, outpatient treatment programs vary among facilities. But common services included in the majority of outpatient rehabilitation include:
● Counselling sessions- individual and group sessions
● Recreation therapy
● Medication management references
● Involvement in 12-step meetings
Here are some benefits and drawbacks of outpatient rehabilitation that should be carefully considered. The benefits of outpatient rehabilitation are:
● Flexible schedule
● Ability to keep up with professional and personal commitment
● The reduced likeliness of searching for treatment options away from one's locality
The drawbacks of outpatient rehabilitation include:
● Increased accessibility to drugs or relapse within the treatment
● Comparatively, less medical supervision
● Reduced opportunities of recognizing and addressing coexisting disorders.
It would be unfair to say that a difference lies between the inpatient vs outpatient therapy offered. But what distinguishes between the inpatient vs outpatient mental health care provision is the accommodation. The inpatient rehabilitation centre offers a full-time treatment facility through residential provision, while the outpatient treatment facilities don't. The additional differences between the two are as follows:
● The best rehabilitation centre in India provides greater support during withdrawal management due to its inpatient treatment facilities.
● Outpatient treatment is scheduled around an individual's responsibilities.
● Inpatient treatment services provide round the clock care, so the chance of missing symptoms of coexisting disorders diminishes significantly.
● Outpatient treatment is comparatively affordable.
● Inpatient treatment helps the individuals fall back to drugs during treatment.
Understanding the inpatient vs outpatient treatment carefully is the first step to choosing the best deaddiction centre in India. One should determine which program is right for them only after consulting a mental health professional.