Drug addiction or substance use disorder is a progressive disease characterised by uncontrollable drug intake despite witnessing the negative consequences of that use. Addiction can cause irreversible harm and even result in death.
Addiction by no means indicates a lack of willpower or morality. It is a chronic disease that alters the brain function and structure such that the individuals within its grip cannot simply quit themselves, even when they intend to. Do not victim-blame; get your loved ones the required de-addiction treatment and care instead. Empathise with their situation and support them at all junctions regardless of their improvement's pace. Believe in them and remember that addiction is treatable and recovery is achievable.
One can sustain recovery lifelong by taking the required measures. These measures include a healthy lifestyle and coping with stress effectively. Regularly attending the AA/NA meetings help individuals stay on the path to recovery.
The cause of drug addiction varies from genetic makeup, environmental cues, and underlying mental disorders. Avoiding drug intake is the best way to save oneself from addiction. Once an individual experiments with drugs, it becomes hard to stop. Experimentation can turn into addiction before the individual gets to know. If you or your loved ones are struggling with substance use disorder, you should consult a mental health professional at the earliest. It may feel like you can stop when you want, but one cannot stop without medical assistance, given the nature of addiction. Seek the guidance of an expert for the best advice ahead.
Here are a few questions you can ask your mental health professional:
● How can I quit drug intake?
● Which is the most effective substance abuse treatment for me?
● How long can my withdrawal symptoms last?
● How long does therapy take?
● How can I prevent relapse?
● What is the post-discharge treatment plan I should follow?
● Can you help me with support group resources after my treatment?
The best drug rehabilitation centre in India offers several therapies to treat addiction. A combination of the following is provided for drug and alcohol addiction treatment:
● Detoxification: cleansing the body from drug toxins and remains to end the physical dependence. Quitting the drug results in withdrawal symptoms; medical supervision is required to help individuals deal with them. Medications are given to ease the distress.
● Medication: these ease the pain and discomfort caused by withdrawal symptoms and reduce the cravings. For example, medications used in opioid addiction include buprenorphine, methadone and naltrexone. Alcohol addiction treatment includes disulfiram, naltrexone, and acamprosate. And medications used in tobacco addiction include varenicline, bupropion, nicotine patch, spray, gum or lozenges.
● Psychological intervention: therapy is essential to address the underlying causes that led to drug addiction and comorbid conditions such as depression, anxiety, etc. Best counselling for drug addiction helps individuals build self-esteem and inculcate the strategies to manage cravings and life stressors with healthy coping styles.
There is no cure-all treatment for addiction. An effective substance abuse treatment is individualised according to the individual's physical, psychological, emotional, and spiritual needs. Often, addiction develops with comorbidities; it is essential to treat both conditions simultaneously. Best Drug Addiction Treatment Centre works hand in hand with the individual and conducts mental assessments to determine these needs. The approach followed by the centre should be to treat the individual and not the disease. Thus, a holistic drug addiction treatment should be followed.